Monday 28 June 2010

Updated fruit and veg.

I think now is the time to bring the grow up to date and then i can fill the gaps in for my garden project, which is looking good.

It has been so hot this last week, too hot to do anything in the garden but its great for everything growing. The weekend just gone reached 30 degrees! I have been taking a look at my shallots. Never grown them before and what a surprise. I didnt expect them to split into multiple bulbs. I thought something had gone wrong. Again i made up my own mind about how far apart to plant and got it wrong again. but they are looking fantastic now.

shallots 28.6.2010

I used a brush and swept soil away from the bulbs so they can get all the sun. Nothing shades then at all. I dont know when they are ready but it cant be long now.



My red onions are lovely and healthy. It looks like my support system i made has worked. They nearly all stand up straight and nothing touches the ground. The same with the white onions though they are not as big and sturdy as the red. I have picked off loads of little flower heads but none have grown on the white onions. The shallots have had the odd one or two. I dont know why this is.

red onions june 28 2010

white onions 28.6.2010

I earthed up the leeks at the weekend using the soil i swept from the onions.

I planted them in rows with mounds of earth behind and in front of them. I had the idea that I would use this earth to build up around the leek but watering has made the mounds flatten out so that didn’t work well. Last year I used really thick tubes of card, bit like loo rolls but the leeks started to get strangled as they expanded. I had a mare trying to get the tubes off the leeks but no harm done in the end. I pulled the last leek from that lot about 10 days ago!!

I have about 30 leeks.

leeks 28.6.2010


This is how it all looks today.

veg 28.6.2010

The garlic and shallots are starting to get yellow tips so i assume these are going to be ready soon. I cant wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment