Monday 28 June 2010

Fruity All The Way.

Where do i start?

I have 2 grapevines, one black/red the other white/green. The red one is a Boskop Glory, it can be used for wine and desert. Last year was the first time the red one produced grapes and it was planted the year before. The white one was planted the same time but it didn't have grapes last year, it has now.

I managed to train the red into 4 canes/cordons across the top of my pergola last year and i got grapes on the vertical sections. They were edible! I pruned back the 4 stems to about 30 bud points on each stem. This spring when it all came back to life the 4 canes have all got grapes growing from every lateral, even across the top.


Month old pic
red grape
vine laterals with grapes



I have found it extremely confusing trying to find what to do next. I have pinched out the top of each lateral 5 leaves about the bunches of grapes so as not to waste too much energy and divert it to the grapes but it looks like the laterals will shoot off all over the place, HEEELP, what do i do now?

The white grape has been more like a naughty kid. I didnt manage to get 4 canes growing last year and so i am all muddled up with it. It has grapes forming this year for the first time. I am going to let this one do what it wants. Plenty of people do and they get loads of grapes.

I have a vine at either end of my pergola. Hopefully this will give me some much needed shade too. I have planted a Montana Clematis in the middle of the pergola on some wires. I only bought it last year so this year its really growing. I have one on the front of my house which was planted a year earlier so i know its going to look great when it does its job.

montana clamatis 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment