Monday 28 June 2010

Carrots.

So far, always a success. I plant in troughs from Wilkinsons in rows of 4. I use permalite and vermiculite in the compost and firm it into the troughs. Then I water it completely till the water seeps out the bottom. By this time the level of compost has dropped so I add more and water it well again . Then I use a bamboo cane to make grooves in the compost to put the seeds, Early Nantes. I press the cane down until it leaves channels. I put the seeds in the channels, it keeps them really neat, then I sieve compost on top to cover the seeds and water with the mist setting so you don’t disturb the seeds, cover and wait! The first 2 troughs I did in the greenhouse but not at the same time. I feel driven to keep a good supply going. I think I am getting too much sun la la la.

As I was saying, I am growing perfect straight healthy carrots and not a hint of a carrot fly, ever. This may be because I live fairly high up and I have at least 6ft fencing around my back garden.

carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment