Monday 28 June 2010

Runner Beans,

Bit of a disappointment for me this year. Normally i have no problem growing from seed but this time most of my bean seeds turned to mush and didnt germinate. I am thinking maybe the g/h was too hot, i dont know. I started off using seeds i harvested. Only a couple grew so i used a different variety i had. Blue Lake i think. I didnt have much luck with these either lol. So, this year i have an unfinished bean plot. I will germinate some more beans and do them in the house i think.

Me and my son constructed a solid structure this year as the wind wrecks the beans as they are not built for hurricane conditions. I drilled through the canes and threaded wire through and attached them to the fence. There is no way that the wind can do any damage this year. :o

Photobucket

I have planted a few more since this pic was taken

beans

I dug over the roots from the last years beans as the roots store nitrogen so its good to keep them in the ground. I also added loads of farmyard manure, stinking chicken manure pellets and compost from the composter. I was planning to give them a really good start but i didn't grow enough to start with. That will be rectified soon with the second planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment