Monday 19 July 2010

Reaping the rewards...

Since i last posted loads has happened in the garden. The heatwave we had for weeks was well timed but hard work. I somehow managed to keep my grass green and everything watered. I picked some shallots yesterday. The ones i harvested were loose on the soil so i am starting to dry them now. I am really amazed at how well they have grown! This is the first time i have grown these but definitely not the last. I will plant twice as many next year as i will replace the white onions with them.
I dont know if i am doing it right but who cares, its working for me :o

shallots 19.07.2010
shallots harvested

I am going to let the rest grow a bit more and see what happens as they all still have very green stems still.

I have seen loads of people saying that their red onions are very small. Well mine aren't...i think they are tennis ball size and bigger, the white ones are good too. All i did before i planted them was add manure to the growing area a couple of weeks before i planted and nothing else but water since. I think that using the wire system has helped them grow as it has kept the green stems off the ground allowing more sun and air to the bulbs. They are still growing well so i will leave them for a bit longer. I planted them in the spring.

19.07.2010 red onions

white onions 19.07.2010

No comments:

Post a Comment