Wednesday 7 July 2010

Here is the middle part of my garden that i have been preparing for turf. You can see from the first pics that my garden was a grassy slope to start with.........not any more!! Bladdy clay soil!!! I hate it with a passion but its nearl done now. You can see by the step how much soil has come out to get it level. I have done it all by hand and sieved everything. The amount of stones i have removed is astonishing. More than half is stones and crap so i am having to mix the sieved soil with compost to get it right. They sieved clay soil is then mixed with compost and raked in, watered them more compost is added. I have one last bit of digging and sieving to do and that is the top left part near my shed door and step. I have done the left side in the spring and and have now finished the right. I have wooden stakes in the soil to show me the height i need to go to. The step was done a couple of weeks ago and i did it myself! I still need to make it look nicer but that will be after the grass is laid. I have also noticed that the bamboos i planted are offering a lot of protection from the wind which can be a problem in my garden so its all going to plan.

The cobbled path will hopefully sit at the same height as the grass and i will be able to mow over the top of it. I dont know whether to plant herbs in the cobbles or something so if anyone has any ideas i am listening.

leveling july 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment