Monday 19 July 2010

Cucumbers and Melons.

I didnt do anything to my greenhouse for a whole weekend and everything grew like crazy. I gave the plants their first feed a week ago. Its been hard work tying all the shoots and removing the bits that wind round the supports. I am going to grow less plants next year. Oh, and NO POWDERY MILDEW this year at all. I wont grow the Telegraph cucs again as they start the mildew. Marketmoor are what i have growing and they are very happy in my greenhouse.

cucs 12 7.2010

This cucumber is about a week ago.

12.07 2010

I am going to have to find some alternative ways of using cucumbers as i am going to have a lot. My neighbour says she is going to make wine from hers.....Watch this space for that one lol

6 comments:

  1. Cucumber... Wine?!?

    Mine are coming on nicely.
    1 is ready to harvest and is around 10 inches long by 2 inches diameter.
    First time growing them for me. Planted 2 lots of courgette by mistake last year... lol.
    Burpless Tasty Green variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the recipe for the wine here Chris...
    http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~goodwine/cucumberwine.htm

    Cucumbers are so easy but a lot of work tying them in but well worth it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tied anything in, just got it growing up a metal frame au-naturelle...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are amazing for grabbing hold and supporting themselves. I pick off the tendrils so they dont waste any energy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have helped a few tendrils find a suitable latching place.

    One tried to grab my Tomato vine the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just make sure you dont stand still for too long or they will have you too! I cant be arsed to pick any more off, they can do what they want now. When i run out of tomato flowers to pull off i might start again :)

    ReplyDelete