Wednesday 11 August 2010

Shallots and red and white onions.

This is the first year i grew these and am stunned! Initially i thought there was something wrong when they started to split into bunches. I thought they grew like onions but nooooo, each one split into up to 10 shallots. They are also bigger than shop ones. I will definitely grow these again next spring.

I have taken a pic using a 50p for scale but they are now bigger since this pic was taken.

shallots 31.7.10

I am more than happy with the red onions. They are still growing well and not much sign of them stopping yet. I will definately use the method of keeping the stems off the ground as it allows more sun to get to the bulbs. I think i have about 30 growing.
red onions 31.7.10

Here are my white onions, another success. Again i kept the stems off the ground and it seems to be the answer.
whiter onions 31.7.10

3 comments:

  1. I like your blog site. It's the first time I have grown shallots. I have plated them and am wandering how long it normally takes for them to dry. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see what others are doing in their gardens ....I especially love that you seem to be rather successful in growing 50ps ! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see what others are doing in their gardens ....I especially love that you seem to be rather successful in growing 50ps ! : )

    ReplyDelete